The application deadline for the TCF Refugee Award is January 31st of each year. The successful applicant will be notified within six weeks of the application deadline.
The TCF Refugee Award is for a refugee who has shown courage and determination while adapting to a new language and culture in Canada. It is valued at $3,000.
The TCF Refugee Award recognizes a student who:
- Entered Canada as a refugee
- Completed Grade 12
- Studied English language [ELL] at the secondary level in grades 8 to 12.
- Wishes to study in a vocational or academic program at a post-secondary institution
Applicants will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Must be a Grade 12 graduate who wishes to attend a post-secondary institution
- Must provide a transcript documenting completion of a minimum of one English language [ELL] course taken in grades 8 to 12
- Documented school or community volunteer service
Applicants are required to submit:
- A description of the applicant’s life before and after coming to Canada.
- A personal essay with the original copy signed by the applicant. The essay needs to be two pages in length, be double-spaced, and approximately 500 words. The topic is ‘How a post-secondary education will enable the applicant to contribute to Canadian society’. Please consider the following questions in your essay. How will having a post-secondary education make a difference in your life? How will the post-secondary education help you contribute to Canadian society?
- Two letters of reference: a. One from a teacher regarding academic performance
b. One from an administrator, counsellor, coach, sponsor, or coordinator regarding school or community volunteer service
- Documented proof of permanent residency or Canadian citizenship
- A mark transcript documenting completion of a minimum of one English language [ELL] course taken in grades 8 to 12
- Completed application form by January 31st
Disbursement of Funds
Funds will be disbursed as follows:
- The recipient is expected to commence post-secondary education within one year of receiving the award.
- The recipient must submit registration receipts from a BC post-secondary institution prior to the disbursement of funds.
- Disbursements will only be made after the institution’s deadline date for withdrawal from the program.
Applications for the TCF Refugee Award must be submitted by January 31st.
Completed online applications will be submitted directly to the TCF at BC TEAL. If, however, you were unable to upload or copy and paste any required document(s) into this form, please email the document(s) to email@example.com. On your email with the documents, include your name and the line, ‘TCF Refugee Award Application documentation.’
The TEAL Charitable Foundation is committed to accessibility. If you are unable to complete the online application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for help.