The application deadline for the David Lam/BC TEAL English Language Learner Scholarship is January 31st of each year. The successful applicant will be notified within six weeks of the application deadline.
David Lam/BC TEAL English Language Learner Scholarship was established by the TEAL Charitable Foundation to honour David C. Lam, the 25th Lieutenant-Governor of British Columbia. During his lifetime, David C. Lam was respected for his commitment to excellence, English language study and public service. The scholarship is valued at up to $4,000. The David Lam/BC TEAL English Language Learner Scholarship is awarded annually to an English language student who wishes to study a post-secondary institution, has excelled academically and taken an active part in community and or school service. ,
Please note that applicants for the David Lam/BC TEAL English Language Learner Scholarship must be documented permanent residents or citizens of Canada. International students on study visas are not eligible for this award
The criteria for this award are as follows:
- Must be a BC Grade 12 graduate who wishes to attend a BC post-secondary institution
- Must provide a transcript documenting completion of a minimum of one English language [ELL] course taken in grades 9 to 12
- Must provide documented school or community service
- Must fully complete application form.
Applicants are required to submit:
- A personal essay describing the applicant’s life before and after coming to Canada
- A personal essay :
a. Two pages in length, double-spaced, approximately 500 words
b. Please consider the following questions in the essay.
- How will having a post-secondary education make a difference in your life?
- How will the post-secondary education help you contribute to Canadian society?
- Two letters of reference:
a. One from a teacher referencing the applicant’s academic performance
b. One from an administrator, counselor, coach, sponsor, or coordinator referencing school and or community service
- Documented proof of permanent residency or Canadian citizenship
- Mark transcripts, documenting the English language courses taken from grade 8 to grade 12
- Grade 12 transcripts to date
- Completed application form by January 31st
Disbursement of Funds
Funds will be disbursed as follows:
- The recipient is expected to commence post-secondary education within one year of receiving the scholarship.
- The recipient must submit registration receipts from a BC post-secondary institution prior to the disbursement of funds.
- Disbursements will only be made after the institution’s deadline date for withdrawal from the program.
Applications for the David C. Lam/BC TEAL ELL Scholarship Award must be submitted by January 31st.
Completed online applications will be submitted directly to the TCF at BC TEAL. If, however, you were unable to upload or copy and paste any required document(s) into this form, please email the document(s) to firstname.lastname@example.org. On your email with the documents, include your name and the line, ‘David C. Lam/BC TEAL ELL Scholarship Award Application documentation.’
The TEAL Charitable Foundation is committed to accessibility. If you are unable to complete the online application, please contact email@example.com for help.