The deadline for the Mary Ashworth Scholarship is November 1st of each year. The successful applicant will be notified within six weeks of the application deadline.
The Mary Ashworth Scholarship was established by BC TEAL in 1988 on the occasion of Mary Ashworth’s retirement from the University of British Columbia. The scholarship honours her outstanding contributions to BC TEAL and the English language profession in Canada.The Mary Ashworth Scholarship is for a graduate or undergraduate student studying in the field of TESL/TESOL or Applied Linguistics. Preference will be given to a student attending a university in British Columbia. The scholarship can be used to cover travel and/or accommodation costs for attending or participating in a provincial, national or international English language conference. The scholarship is valued up to $1,000.
Please note that only two of the following TCF awards can be won by the same applicant. This applies to the Nan Poliakoff Memorial Award, BC TEAL/ TESOL Award and the Mary Ashworth Scholarship
Applicants are evaluated according to the following criteria:
- English language teaching experience and service to the English language professional community
- Preference will be given to BC TEAL members in good standing
Applicants are required to submit:
- A completed application form by November 1st
- A curriculum vitae specifying experience in the English language profession and current university program of study
- A letter describing the benefits of attending a provincial, national or international conference
- Two letters of reference attesting to the value of receiving the scholarship in terms of the applicant’s studies and professional development
Disbursement of Funds
Within one year, the recipient is required to complete the following before disbursement of funds:
- Give a presentation at a BC TEAL Conference or submit an article for the BC TEAL Newsletter or a provincial or national journal or by making your results available online
- Submit receipts for expenses incurred to the BC TEAL office for reimbursement
Applications for the Mary Ashworth Scholarship Award must be submitted by November 1st.
Completed online applications will be submitted directly to the TCF at BC TEAL. If, however, you were unable to upload or copy and paste any required document(s) into this form, please email the document(s) to firstname.lastname@example.org. On your email with the documents, include your name and the line, ‘Mary Ashworth Scholarship Award Application documentation.’
The TEAL Charitable Foundation is committed to accessibility. If you are unable to complete the online application, please contact email@example.com for help.