The deadline for the Pat Wakefield Scholarship is November 1st of each year. Th successful applicant will be notified within six weeks of the application deadline.
The Pat Wakefield Scholarship was established in 1985 by BC TEAL, in cooperation with the British Council. The purpose of the award is to honour Pat Wakefield for her leadership and commitment to the field of English language education in British Columbia and Canada. The scholarship will be awarded to an English language educator who wishes to travel to a Commonwealth country for professional development or research in the field of EAL/ESL. The scholarship funds will cover travel costs and /or accommodation up to $3,000.
The scholarship cannot be used to fund professional development or research already completed.
Applicants are evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Long-term, distinguished and dedicated service in the field of English language education in British Columbia and/or Canada
- Prefernce will be given to a BC TEAL member in good standing
Applicants are required to submit:
- A completed application form by November 1st
- A curriculum vitae specifying experience in the English language profession and university studies
- A letter of application, along with a list of educators and educational institutions the applicant wishes to visit in the Commonwealth country chosen
- Two letters of reference attesting to the value of the proposed research or professional development for the applicant and the English language profession
Disbursement of Funds
Within one year, the recipient is required to complete the following before disbursement of funds:
- Give a presentation at a BC TEAL Conference or submit an article for the BC TEAL Newsletter or a provincial or national journal or by making your results available online.
- Submit receipts for expenses incurred to the BC TEAL office for reimbursement.
Applications for the Pat Wakefield Scholarship Award must be submitted by November 1st.
Completed online applications will be submitted directly to the TCF at BC TEAL. If, however, you were unable to upload or copy and paste any required document(s) into this form, please email the document(s) to email@example.com. On your email with the documents, include your name and the line, ‘Pat Wakefield Scholarship Award Application documentation.’
The TEAL Charitable Foundation is committed to accessibility. If you are unable to complete the online application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for help.